20 Nov Kris Carr and Chef Chad Sarno’s Crazy Sexy Kale + Thanksgiving Giveaway
Last week I had the distinct pleasure of being invited to an exclusive cooking demonstration and book signing by one of my favorite authors and “cancer thrivers”, Kris Carr at the Whole Foods Wellness Club. Since my own cancer diagnosis four years ago, I have been a huge fan. Like me, she has embraced nutrition as a way to heal her body from illness. Her discussion was candid, funny and informative. Chef Sarno’s recipes were brought to life during this discussion. Hands down, my favorite part of the night was the food tasting. We sampled four different recipes from their new book, Crazy Sexy Kitchen; 1. hearts-of-palm crab-cakes with remoulade 2. Crostini with artichoke puree, garlicky mushrooms, and horseradish 3. For the love of Nog! and 4. Crazy Sexy Kale. Every single sample was overwhelmingly delicious! For those who believe eating plant-based meals are boring and bland, I challenge you to purchase this book and get cookin’!
I got so excited, I decided on the spot that I’d offer this now New York Times best-selling book to my readers. In order to be in the drawing, you must subscribe to this blog between today, November 20th and December 17th, OR like our facebook page. For those who have already subscribed OR “Liked” us, just leave a comment below and your name automatically goes in the drawing*.
As a way to say thank you and to give you a sneak peak of what’s inside, I am sharing a recipe adapted from the book. And before you start procrastinating, please note that the recipe below was done in it’s entirety by my 13-year old. No excuses and good luck!
*Contest open to U.S Residents only.
- 1 bunch kale, any variety, shredded by hand, stems removed
- 1 cup diced peppers (any color but green... I used orange and yellow)
- 1 tbsp triple blend Sea Vegetable flakes (I used Maine Coast brand)
- 2 avocados, pit removed and diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 juiced lemon
- ½ small red onion, small dice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Massage and mix with your hands to soften the kale and cream the avocado (just a couple minutes), and serve.
- Adapted from Crazy Sexy Kitchen