19 Mar Healing Ginger-Turmeric Sleep Tea
Like most moms, getting home after work means that I will be preparing dinner, checking homework, bathing kids and a host of other unexpected occurrences depending on the day. As much as I’d like to sit down and just rest, the reality is that I just don’t have the time. The one self-care ritual that I don’t skip is my nighttime ginger-turmeric tea. It set’s the tone for restful sleep and allows me to support the gentle healing needs of my body. The best part is that once you do go to sleep, the magic happens without any additional effort on your part.
The 4 main ingredients in this powerful tonic: turmeric, ginger, lemon and honey, are all associated with good health. I’ve used turmeric religiously for cancer prevention, but now data supports that it may prolong life. Among other things, ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and anti-viral agent. Lemons are not only a great liver detoxifier; they also give the tea a really nice flavor. And then there’s honey, used by healers for thousands of years as a sleep remedy. This recipe is so super-easy, it is well worth the short time it takes to prepare.
Did you know the easiest way to peel ginger is to use a spoon?
Bring the water to a boil, add all the ingredients, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
The tea was so delicious that even my 3 daughters enjoyed it! By the time I finished this post, they were fast asleep.
Related Posts: “Keepin It Real” Recipes
- water, 4 cups
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root
- ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder or 3 inch fresh turmeric root sliced
- Optional: honey (preferably local or raw)
- Peel the ginger root and cut it into thin slices.
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Once it is boiling, add the ginger, turmeric, juiced lemon.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Strain the tea. Add honey to taste.