02 Jan Creating a New You NOW
The new year is the time when we all collectively review lessons learned in the previous year and set goals for the new one. I used to put a lot of effort into preparing resolutions until I started feeling like a broken record. When I look back it was truly exhausting and served only to make me feel bad about myself when I couldn’t accomplish my over-the-top goals. The truth is, most people fall off the wagon and go back to their ways in the first few weeks.
C’mon… admit it, there is a bit of laziness about setting a date to make yourself better. Let me ask you this. How many of you committed to lose weight and get in shape in the new year and then completely went on a binge-fest during the holidays? Be honest. I used to be that person too. Why not just start now? Why put off making yourself better? Since 2012, I did away with resolutions and decided I would stay in constant competition with myself, to push me beyond my comfort zone all the time. What makes me uncomfortable also helps me to grow and ultimately propels me to the next level. Stop focusing on celebrities, quick-fixes, and the haters and start focusing on YOU. The photo above is a useful tool to get that process going.
For more tips on self-improvement and leadership check out the list below by one of my favorite authors Robin Sharma:
“The 50 Business + Life Lessons 2012 Taught Me”:
- Hard work is a force multiplier.
- Don’t participate in recessions.
- Exercising for 20 minutes first thing in the morning is a game-changer.
- If you’re not innovating daily, you’re on the path to obsolescence.
- If you want an A-Level company, you can’t afford to hire B-Level players.
- Procrastination is an escape mechanism for people scared to do their best work.
- Give your customers 10X the value they expect and they’ll tell everyone they know about you.
- Don’t do it if you’re not having fun.
- If you’re not scared a lot you’re not growing very much.
- Invest the time to create great social media content and your base will go global + viral.
“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” ~ Toni Morrison